Self-employment income: How to file Schedule C

Chapter 38
Self-employment income: How to file Schedule C

Useful Items

You may want to see:


  •  15 Circular E, Employer’s Tax Guide
  •  15-A Employer’s Supplemental Tax Guide
  •  225 Farmer’s Tax Guide
  •  334 Tax Guide for Small Business
  •  463 Travel, Entertainment, Gift and Car Expenses
  •  535 Business Expenses
  •  541 Partnerships
  •  587 Business Use of Your Home (Including Use by Day-Care Providers)

Who Must File Schedule C

If you are a sole proprietor, an independent contractor, a statutory employee, a statutory nonemployee, or a single member LLC, you may be required to report business income and expenses on Schedule C.

Sole proprietor. If you operate a business as a sole proprietor, you must file Schedule C to report your income and expenses from your business. If you operate more than one business, or if you and your spouse had separate businesses, you must prepare a separate Schedule C for each business.